Saturday, April 4, 2009

Message or coincidence?


This morning I finally got around to moving my snowman collection from the fireplace mantel back into storage and while I was carrying a few of them downstairs I thought 'I should make paper mache snowmen.'


I think the last time I made paper mache anything was in elementary school so I have no idea why this thought popped into my head. I immediately had visions of my snowmen being kitschy and the next hot thing on the craft fair circuit. Again, I have no idea where this is coming from; I have no artistic talent and rarely visit craft fairs.


A few hours later I am reading my book club book (An American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld, which I am really enjoying btw) and (I'm not giving away anything here) the main character, Alice, is making paper mache characters from children's books for her school library.


Huh.


Then I went to a movie business event in Pontiac and some guy starts talking to me and he is a writer and when he finds out I have a children's book out he shows me the illustrations for his book that he is working on and


it is about snowmen!


Double huh.


Am I supposed to be paying attention here? And, if so, to what? Paper mache? Snowmen? This guy? Is all this some sort of freaky coincidence or do paper mache snowmen some important meaning?


I really need a Guidebook to Messages From the Universe: Which Ones to Pay Attention to and Which Ones it's Safe to ignore.

No comments: