Thursday, April 2, 2009

What's so great about clean arteries anyway?

I had my yearly physical last week and my LDL level is still hovering in the Just Above Acceptable range so I am going completely vegan for a month (which makes me feel like I'm saying I'm going nudist for a month, I don't know why) to see if it will go down.

I'm a little nervous, the last time I actually did something about my cholesterol was when I was 30 and my doctor said that birth control could be a contributing factor so I quit taking the pill and dieted for a month. 30 days later my cholesterol was normal and I was pregnant. Surprise.

I started Vegan Quest 2009 on Monday and lasted until dinner, when I had a ham and cheese Olga's. (Have you ever had Olga's? To. Die. For.) I might have had a french fries too. I can't really remember; I was a little delirious from no meat or cheese for the entire day.

So now, it's Thursday. Right? It's Thursday? I've managed to hang in there, but not without a struggle. After lunch today I an apple with Nutella and almond slivers and was feeling pretty darn good about myself until a friend on Facebook (who I am seriously considering unfriending right now) told me that Nutella has dairy in it.

Who put f**king milk in Nutella?

For dinner I made baked potato skins. They are somewhat a specialty of mine (i.e. one of the three things I make that everyone in the family will eat) but instead of awesomely gooey melted cheese mine were topped with sauteed spinach and grilled onions.

There is a small part of me that hopes that when this 30-day hellperiment is over my LDL has not budged because then I can just go out and buy an extra-large bottle of Crestor and a bacon-blue cheese burger.

Mmmmmmmmmm, bacon.

No comments: